These are UK-based specialist tour operators, travel agencies, and companies offering self or expert guided battlefield tours to military sites and battlefields worldwide, but mostly World War I & II, and Napoleonic war sites in Europe.
“Others…” (below) also lists specialists in battlefield experiences that don’t quite fit the parameters for this list. In particular there are a number of battlefield guides who are based on the continent near the sites they visit.
|Anglia Battlefield Tours||01376 574130||Schools & groups battlefield tours to Europe. A range of different tours covering different conflicts, including poetry tours to WWI sites such as the Somme & Ypres.|
|Back-Roads||020 8987 0990||The Back-Roads Touring Co has a programme of escorted small group battlefield tours (WWI & WWII) in France, Belgium and Holland.|
|Bartletts Battlefield Journeys||01507 523128||Bartletts specialise in small-group all-inclusive tours to the Western Front Battlefields of 1914 to 1918 and Normandy 1944.|
|Battlefield Tours||0121 430 5348||Operating name for the War Research Society which specialises in taking pilgrims, veterans, widows and children to visit the battlefields, memorials and last resting places of the fallen, combined with guided historical tours of the areas of the First and Second World Wars in Northern France, Belgium, & Italy, and the historic battlefields of South Africa..|
|Cassino Battlefields||01347 811104||Specialise in battlefield study tours to the WW2 sites at Cassino, Anzio and Salerno in Italy.|
|Cooper’s Waterloo Tours||01277 890214||Tours led by expert, Graham Cooper, to Napoleonic battlefield sites across Europe (his speciality).|
|Cultural Experience, The||0345 475 1815||Guided history, battlefield and archaeological tours to a wide selection of destinations. Formerly known as Midas Tours.|
|Dr Thomson’s Tours||07885 662714||Small-scale (one-man) tour operator. Dr Thompson is a historian & guide based in Canterbury, he takes private tours to European battlefield and historic sites.|
|Galina International Battlefield Tours||01244 340777||Longstanding battlefield tour operator focused on WWI & WWII in Europe. Also Agincourt & Waterloo. Runs tours for groups, schools, British Army and Army Reserve groups, and cadets.|
|Holts Battlefield Tours||0800 731 1914||Probably the best brand in the battlefield niche, now specialising in schools history & educational tours. Holts was a small independent specialist operator – the first in its field – launched in the 1970s by battlefield guidebook & map authors, Major Tonie and Mrs Valmai Holt. They operated a huge range of expert-guided battlefield tours worldwide until Sept 03 when it was aquired by Titan Tours and subsequently merged with former competitor, Midas Tours. Now its public tours are operated by Leger (below).|
|In The Footsteps||01989 565599||Family run operator offering private battlefield tour services to WW1 & WW11 sites in France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, UK & South Africa with a team of expert guides, and for tailor made ‘geneology tours’, research for following in the footsteps of ancestors is free of charge on booking.|
|Leger||01709 385 624||Large programme of 1st & 2nd WW battlefield tours in Europe, plus other pre & post 20th century battlefields worldwide.|
|Martin Randall Travel||020 8742 3355||Well-known specialist in high-brow, small-group, expert-led cultural tours. Their programme of History tours usually features some specific military & battlefield tours.|
|Matt Limb Battlefield Tours||07973 518289||Matt Limb OBE is himself a Commanding Officer of a specialist Territorial Army regiment. He takes battlefield tours to 1st & 2nd WW sites on the Continent.|
|Old Country Tours||01747 828719||Anglo-American specialist tour operator offering history and battlefield tours in Europe and the USA.|
|Reveille Battlefield Tours||01304 240820||Owner-led, in-depth small group visits by minibus to major sites of WW1 and WW2|
|Richardson & Gray||01584 879348||Specialise in group tours to WWI & WWII battlefield sites, also for visiting American, Australian and Canadian groups.|
|Rifleman Tours||01908 617264||Small group guided WW1 battlefield tours with executive coach travel and 3-star hotel accommodation. Itineraries are flexible to incorporate special visits or interests, but they also offer tailormade tours.|
|Shearings Holidays||0844 824 6351||The UK’s best known coach holiday company offers a range of battlefield tours in Europe accompanied by specialist guides, and including coach travel, hotel accommodation, meals and guided tours.|
|Somme Battlefield Tours||01202 840520||Expert-led and self-drive tours of the Somme & Ypres WWI battlefields.|
- In Krakow, Poland, Małopolska Stowarzyszenie Miłośników Historii, aka “Rawelin”, is a non-profit organisation that conducts historical research and works to protect architectural monuments, including fortifications and historic urban engineering. They run tours of some of these places including the underground emergency command centre at the Lenin Steelworks in Krakow, a 1950s time capsule.
- Battlefields by 4×4 is an interesting option. Small group guided battlefield tours for owners of 4×4 vehicles. You get yourself there and do the driving. They guide you to WWI & II sites in northern France (it’s mostly WWI. They are based in Arras) on and off the beaten track.
- African Battlefields specialise in battlefield tours in South Africa, especially the classical Victorian Military expeditions of the Anglo Boer and Zulu war Battlefields of 19th century British colonial Africa.
- Battle of Waterloo Tours Ex-pat, Alan Lindsey has lived close to the Battlefield of Waterloo for more than 20 years and provides an expert guide service to the battlefield itself and the surroundings sites linked to the battle such as Quatre Bras & Ligny.
- Battlefields Experience, The (not based in the UK) operates WW1 & WW2 battlefield tours in Northern France & Belgium.
- Civil War Traveler is a useful website detailing historical self-drive tour and trail information to civil war sites in the USA.
- French-Tours offer chauffeur-guided tours of WWI & WWII battlefields sites in France.
- The Three Whales travel agency in Russia offers tours of major Russian World War 2 battlefield sites such as Kursk and Stalingrad.
- Battle Fields is a Belgian company operating aerial battle site tours by helicopter.
- Action Stations offer Battle of Britain experiences using a Spitfire and a helicopter based at Manston. You can check over the spitfire on the ground, then go on a helicopter tour of the aerial battleground over the Kent coast with the spitfire flying in tandem.
- Best Russian Tour are the guys who do all the extreme and special interest tours in Russia (eg. cosmonaut training, MIG flights) they have many military options including visits to battleground/military museums such as the tank museum in Kubinka, Museum of the Great Patriotic War, Museum of the Battle of Borodino T-34 Tank museum, etc.
- Zeitgeist is a UK operator specialising in historical and battlefield tours for schools.